2019 – The International Year of the Periodic Table
1869 is considered as the year of discovery of the Periodic System by D. Mendeleev. 2019 is the 150th anniversary and has therefore been proclaimed the "International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements (IYPT2019)" by the United Nations General Assembly and UNESCO.
- Closing Ceremony of the International Year of the Periodic Table (IYPT2019) took place in Japan, December 5th. During the year, the oldest classroom periodic table from 1885 at University of St. Andrews in Scotland was uncovered, and the smallest and largest ever tables were assembled.
- What would happen if you made a periodic table out of cube-shaped bricks, where each brick was made of the corresponding element?
- Get inspired by one of the many gift stores on the periodic table of elements theme - everything from mug to swimsuit...
- 2019 edition of the Compound Interest Chemistry advent calendar is running with a periodic table theme – every day in the run-up to Christmas, there’ll be a different periodic table featured. Have a look at a periodic table of rejected element names or table of element Scrabble scores...
- This collection features research from across those 150 years of periodic table, showcasing important and interesting research papers from the archive, along with commentaries and multimedia from across the Nature family.
- The school year is coming - choose from various Periodic table of elements apps (Android), ideal for your studies.
- Uncover the periodic table of elements at the exhibition stand of the University of Chemical Technology, September 4, 2019 at the traditional festival of universities, academic and leisure institutions in Prague, Dejvice.
- On American Chemical Society website, browse through a vast collection of different periodic tables from various sources. If you prefer one in print, download a free updated periodic table
scalable to any size.
June 28 - Visit iQLANDIA in Liberec during summer from June 29. to September 1., 2019 and win a free entrance.
June 3 - You can see Periodic table of elements and much more at Science Fair 2019 in Prague PVA EXPO PRAHA from June 6 to 8. It is the biggest popular – educational event of its kind in the Czech Republic organized by the Czech Academy of Sciences. You can find exhibitions of both UCT Prague and IOCB there.
May 15 - On European Chemical Society website, you can explore the Element Scarcity Periodic Table or download Elemental Escapades Video Game.
April 20 – 27
- Czech students won 3 silver and 1 bronze medals at the International Mendeleev Chemical Olympiad (IMChO). On the occasion of the anniversary of the periodic law discovery, IMChO was held for the first time in St. Petersburg, the city where D. Mendeleev lived and worked.
- To honor the cooperation of Mendeleev with Czech chemist Bohuslav Brauner, scientists from the chemical departments of the Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, created an exhibition of chemical elements in the form of a large interactive periodic system of elements.
- Who wouldn't know Professor Slavíček from UCT? Listen to his lecture from January 18, presented on the occasion of "Pátečníci" lectures.
- Check the books related to the periodic table of the elements which you can find in the print library collection.
- Last Tuesday the Opening Ceremony of the International Year of the Periodic Table (IYPT2019) took place at the UNESCO HQ in Paris, France.
150 years ago, in February 1969, Dmitrii Mendeleev was the first who published an article with the formulation of the periodic law and the depiction of the periodic system of elements (Основы химии, 1869, 5); in the same year the abstract with the same table was published in German journal
(Über die Beziehungen der Eigeschaften zu den Atomgewichten der Elemente, ZChem, 1869, 12, 405-406).